Thursday 29 May 2014

May 25th, Sunday. Gig No.40. Hideaway, Open Mic mixed night

Two nights off, Friday + Saturday, to search for a home. Sunday spent searching still, then it suddenly occured to me: OH SHIT. I HAVE TO DO A GIG OR I FAIL THE TASK. This form of panic is becoming a regular thing.

A few panicky poo messages on FB/Twitter eventually yeild some results. The results were: Go FUCKING DO A GIG

Thanks kids.

A young gent had a suggestion for me: Go to a mixed open mic night in Hideaway. Ah shit. I’ve done that venue about 6 times now. It’s getting old. But this time, it will be full of ‘deep’ soulful troubadours singing their shitty Myspace music. (Terrible thing to say, but I’m in a bad mood and these cunts can swivel)

Sorry that’s a bit harsh. Actually they were all very talented. Well. There was this one guy. No, we’re not going there. I don’t want to take the piss out of other acts who have the courage to pursue their dreams and express themselves on front of others. All I’m saying is, you can't always expect to find the next Ed Sheeran at every open mic music night. In fact, one Ed Sheeran is one more than we needed in the first fucking place. So every time you don't discover the next Ed Sheeran, that is a victory for all humanity. (Honestly, I've never listened to his music, I'm just victimising him because I don't like his face.)

So anyway, I was the first comic on. The previous five acts were all music acts doing pretty heavy, soulful stuff. Stuff about love and heartbreak. About your dyin’ dog and being tied to a radiator. (I don’t know, I wasn’t fucking listening) So what the fuck were they thinking when I came on and started bellydancing? It’s not that kind of room Joe! That's the thing. When five music acts in a row go on, you are in a ‘music’ kind of state. To suddenly snap from ‘Blues about my dyin’ woman’ to ‘LOOK AT MY BELLYDANCE’ - It’s uncomfortable. People weren’t necessarily in a ‘comedy’ mood. Lets never speak of this again.

Gig No.40 done. MC/Promoter Colin Devaney, awesome singer
2014-05-25 21.40.53

No comments:

Post a Comment